As owners concerns about their dog's health continue to increase across the United States, more questions are beginning to arise regarding what types of treats are the most beneficial. As the number of people in the United States who own dogs is constantly increasing, so is the number of people purchasing functional treats for their dogs. In the last five years, the purchasing and production of functional treats have doubled in the United States (Pet Business). With figured like these, it's a mistake to not have a functional treat or line of treats in your store's offerings.
One the best benefits of carrying functional treats is that it will keep consumers coming back for more. Generally, functional treats won’t make a difference in a dogs health unless they are given to them consistently and once a consumer finds a treat that is showing the needed results, they'll be more likely to remain a loyal customer.
There are countless ingredients that naturally aid in pet health and overall well being. Some of biggest ingredients in the marketplace now are:
- Spirulina – Spirulina is high in protein and a good source of antioxidants. It is known for immune support, detoxification, and gastrointestinal support.
- Glucosamine – Glucosamine is a natural joint lubricant and can help reduce swelling and promote the strength of muscles and bones.
- Inulin – Inulin is a source of prebiotic which can promote digestive health.
- Apples – Apples help freshen breath and are high in fiber. They also have abrasive qualities which aid in cleaning teeth.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a very strong antioxidant and has been shown to have several benefits to dogs including reducing inflammation and lowering the risk of blood clots. For senior dogs that struggle with joint pain, anti-inflammatory products help to serve as a pain reliever.
- Parsley – Parsley is another source of antioxidants and vitamins and can be used as a breath freshener and for gastrointestinal support.
- Peppermint Oil – Peppermint oil is known to support gastrointestinal health.
- Pumpkin – Pumpkin is high in fiber, a natural dewormer, can help aid in preventing constipation, and can also help improve skin and coat appearance/health. It is also an excellent source of vitamin A.
- Ginger – Ginger is known for helping with upset stomach and nausea. Inulin: Inulin is a source of prebiotic which can promote digestive health.
- Coconut – Coconut is beneficial in increasing energy levels, improving skin and coat, improving digestion, and reducing allergic reactions. It also contains some of the essential fats dogs need when trying to maintain a nutritious diet.
- Flaxseed – Flax is high in omega-3 fatty acids which are good for promoting skin and coat health. It is also a great source of fiber.
- Salmon – Salmon is high in omega-3 fatty acids which are good for boosting immune health, promoting skin and coat health, and have indicated they may be helpful in reducing allergy symptoms.
Whether you're looking to add a treat to your offering that aids in hip and joint health, offers probiotics, or you're looking for a dental support chew, The Pound Bakery has several options for function treats that will wow your customers and give you the opportunity to expand your offerings. Apply for a wholesale account today to see our line of bulk functional treats or visit our online store for more details.